Photo by Harry D’Onofrio
A successful 2017 season
WEST SAYVILLE—It has been a good season for the Flying Dutchmen Drill Team of the West Sayville Fire Department, with six tournament victories: Long Island Invitational Champions, Joe Hunter Memorial Drill Champions, Selden Invitational Champions, Suffolk County Champions, Riverhead Invitational Champions and Nassau-Suffolk Invitational Champions titles, with the Suffolk County season total points championship overall and individually in the B ladder and B hose contests. The team set a new state record in motor pump of 5:45 seconds at the Long Island Invitational Drill.
The six wins in 2017 increase the team’s total tournament victory count to 179 since first engaging in firematic competition in 1892, and helped lead them to their 18th season total points championship in Suffolk County from the time the award was first bestowed in 1973. All of this hard work resulted in an additional 48 contest and tournament total points trophies and 43 legacy trophies being added to the already crowded shelves of the teams 3,100-plus collection.
Once the trucks were parked for the year, the hose, ladders and buckets were put in winter storage and a well-deserved respite was enjoyed for several weeks. The team was then once again on the road, and the first stop was on Nov. 4 in Albany, at the Radisson Hotel, for the annual New York State Volunteer Firemen’s Parade and Drill Team Captain’s Association Installation and Awards dinner. At the event, the team received an award for setting a new state record in Motor Pump contest.
Two weeks later, the Flying Dutchmen were once more on the road, this time in Bay Shore at Nicky’s on the Bay, where they received the accolades for their season performances at the annual awards and installation dinner of the Suffolk County Parade and Drill Team Captains’ Association, where the team earned eight awards:
• B-Ladder/Ladder Total Points Trophy:
Donated by Jake Parris, Jon Parris, Mike Partridge, Bill Rowse
• The Artie Rogers Memorial Suffolk County Ladder Champion Trophy
• The Suffolk County Total Culminating Points Trophy for the Motor Hose Class B Contest: Donated by the Bay Shore Redskins
• The Past Presidents Trophy for Suffolk County Total Culminating Points Trophy in the Motorized Events: Donated by the Suffolk County Parade and Drill Team Captains’ Association
• The Suffolk County Drill Officials Association Total Culminating Points Trophy
• The John W. Van Wyen Sr. Memorial Total Culminating Points Trophy: Donated by the West Sayville Fire Department
• The Theodore Jaffie Memorial Trophy for Total Season Points donated by the Suffolk County Parade and Drill Team Captains’ Association
• The Suffolk County Total Points Cup: Donated by the West Sayville Flying Dutchmen, which has been designed and built by team coach Frank R. Miller Sr.
The 2017 Suffolk County Total Point Champions are coached by Frank R. Miller Sr., Robert Marra and G. Scott Schrader; led by Captain Michael Marra, Lieutenant Frank R. Miller, Jr., Lieutenant Daniel Tenney; and team members David Banks, Kevin Candido, Louis Christensen, Diana Fuller, Partrick Garrett, Kristy Hothan, William Hothan, Ryan Huguenin, Casey Johnson, Robert Noonan, Doug Quenzer, Joseph Quenzer, Richard Quenzer, Gary A. Schaum and Ryan Tenney.
Like what you have read? Click here to subscribe to the Suffolk County News so you can read more stories like this, and find out everything that’s going on in your town!